Sunday, November 29, 2009

No returns

What has happened to commerce in America? Why is it so difficult to return a item you purchased? It's the time of giving. in 26 days, it will be the time of returning. But will you be able to do it?

Yesterday, I bought a new lamp for my DLP television. I stood in line and payed for the lamp. But before I could leave, the checkout girl handed me a piece of paper.

Her" "You need to sign this."
Me: "What is it?"
Her: "It says you can't return the item."
Me: "What?"
Her: We have a no return policy on these items."
Me: "I'm not going to sign this. What if it's the wrong item? What if there is something wrong with it?"
Her: "I don't know what to tell ya."
Me: "Then I'm not going to sign it."
Her: "I need to get my manager."
Me: "Yes, you do!"

The manager finally came over and told me that if there is something wrong with it, they will take it back. But it has to be their fault.

Well guess what. It is!

The fucking thing doesn't fit! I asked the sales guy, and the manager about the part number. They both insisted that it would fit. But it doesn't. I tried for nearly an hour, and nothing I did would make it fit.

So guess what I get to do tomorrow. I get to go back to the store and fight with a manager over this item that they said would fit, but didn't. They sure as hell better return it, or we are going to have a serious problem!

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. The suggestion that you sign such a document was outrageous. I am glad you said no.

    When a saleswoman asked me if I wanted to pay for an extended warranty on a coffee machine and a toaster I asked: "Why, are you expecting them to break?"

    Paying for guarantees and warranties is business that plays on your fears and also trades on the likelihood that when the goods break in a few years time, the customer won't make any claim.

    ReplyDelete