Sunday, November 8, 2009

What's wrong with being the Bad Guy?

It's a Saturday afternoon, and I surfing through the 745 different channels I have available at the push of a button. Even with the ever expanding choices, I find myself stopping on the History Channel, DIY Network, or the Travel Channel more and more often.

One of the shows I really enjoy is "No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain". The guy is everthing I want to be as a traveler and writer. He has that special ability to entertain with a back handed compliment. And I can't help but relate and enjoy the mean spirited comments he uses to describe a city, a person, or another host on his own network.

As I was watching Tony eat and drink his way through the former Russian controled East Berlin, it hit me. Tony is the "Anti Host". He isn't a sweet and quirky Samantha Brown showing us the best Hotels and cutest cafes to enjoy on our next trip to Paris. No, he's the guy showing us his Dominatrix Hotel in Berlin that he found on the internet. He's not the one pretending to enjoy the latest production from the local starving performance artists. No, he tells us it's dumb as he lights up a cigarette and throws back another beer.

Yes, Tony is cool. Tony is a jerk. And I love him for it. That makes Tony my hero. The next time I travel to Europe, I want to go with Tony. I want to hang with the "Bad Guy".

No comments:

Post a Comment